Parents are the primary educators of their children and should be supported by teachers, administrators and a transparent School Board.
A Parent's Voice
Elizabeth believes the parent’s voice in the education of their own child must be valued and respected.
- Elizabeth has consistently championed the rights of parents to know what their children are being taught in all curriculum matters and have access to online instructional materials to review content and assist their students.
- Elizabeth has continued to elevate issues and fight for parent concerns regarding their student’s privacy as technology becomes more embedded in education. She has also worked to highlight parental rights and access to online instructional materials to review content and assist their students.
- Elizabeth supports parents who choose public education in their belief that they don’t have to surrender their cultural and religious values. Virginia law is clear that parents are to play a primary role in teachings about Family Life Education. The statute pertaining to FLE specifically states that “all such instruction shall be designed to promote parental involvement”.
- Elizabeth has actively maintained the rights of parents to be promptly notified when their student is alleged to be involved in a disciplinary matter prior to their student writing or making self-incriminating statements.
- She has passionately advocated for reform of the district’s discipline practices, which disproportionately impact boys, minorities, and, in particular, students with disabilities who, for example, represent 14% of the student population but comprise 40% of the discipline cases.
- Elizabeth also emphasizes that communications with parents by school system personnel be respectful and collaborative, including Individual Education Plan (IEP) and 504 meetings.
imagine a better school board
Working with & for you!